Half-Words, Quick Cuts, and Blaring Music: Advertising Trend Watch

I'm noticing a new trend in commercials for electronics: many of them feature very quick cuts of people using the products while music blares in the background. A few of them also feature one word on the screen that doesn't change, while a word before or after changes with the different scenes. Here are a few very recent examples:

1. Android: "And You"
  • Quick cuts of people using the product.
  • Music blaring in the background.
  • The word "and" stays on the screen while other words change around it.
2. Fitbit: "Find Your Fit
  • Quick cuts of people using the product.
  • Music blaring in the background.
  • The word "fit" is on each screen while other words change around it.
Slight variation: 

3. iPad Air: "Change"
  • Quick cuts of people using the product.
  • Music blaring in the background.
  • No words on the screen.
Example from two years ago: 

4. Chromebook: "For everyone"
  • Perhaps this was the start of the trend, as it contains all three elements.
Add This To Your To-Do List
So is this actually a trend or just a coincidence? Did I miss other examples? Please let me know.

Of course, the real question is: do consumers of these products respond well to this type of ad? I think I'm in the target market for each of these products and while I like the ad concepts, I wish they'd slow down a bit so I can understand what's going on. But maybe I'm just getting old.

There's never a lack of ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Porta Potties: Hilarious Product Names

Only Old People Choose Butter Pecan Ice Cream

My TEDx Talk: Hey Marketers, Get Your Priorities Straight