Where are the doomsday ads?
According to the ancient Mayan calendar, the world will end on December 21st, 2012. That's just days away! Where are all the doomsday ads? Think of the opportunities:
- The world is ending in a month, so buy that Mercedes you've always wanted now.
- You only have a few days left; take that Apple Vacation you've always dreamed of.
- Eat like there's no tomorrow — because there might not be! Join us at Red Lobster for all you can eat lobster and steak.
- Buy a Tiffany's ring and propose to your girlfriend. Don't experience the end of the world alone!
I call this type of marketing communication that uses a current event in the message, "headline marketing." There are two major benefits to using headline marketing:
- You can get free publicity. Often times, by attaching your brand to stories in the headlines, you can earn a few free stories in the news.
- These types of brands are cool and flexible. You have to be nimble and fast to respond in order to engage in this type of marketing. In general, customers like brands that are quick and hip.
Headline marketing can be pretty fun. When done properly, a brand can really gain some great publicity and improve its image. What type of offer would you make in a doomsday scenario? The possibilities are endless and I'd love to hear your ideas.
There's Never a Lack of Ideas